The paper edition of the encyclopedia ends its century long-term, but he is a victim or beneficiary of the digital age?
existing Its winds through the centuries and across continents, through the birth of the United States in the last days of the Enlightenment. This is a record of achievements of humanity in war and peace, art and science, exploration and discovery. Has been to represent the sum of all human knowledge.
And now out of print.
Encyclopedia Britannica announced that after 244 years, dozens of editions and collections of more than 7 million copies sold, no new issues are placed on the paper. The 32 volumes from 2010, proved they were the last. Future editions will live exclusively online.
For some readers the news will cause an upset in the rebel camp that was wrong. Others will wonder, at the age of Wikipedia, which led to the dinosaurs for a long time to die. Neither view captures the company or even a crossroads.Jorge Cauz
, president of the Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., suggested that the encyclopedia was already something of a relic within the company, which has long since moved its main activity outside its publication in the brand and online educational tools.
"The company has grown from a supplier to a provider of training solutions," said Cauz. It is expected that only 15% of company revenues this year will come from its publication of the same name, mostly by subscriptions and purchases of applications. "The vast majority" of the remaining 85% of expected revenues from products and educational services, said Cauz, who declined to provide dollar amounts, but said the company was profitable.
Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., is owned by tycoon Jacqui Safra Swiss banking. Company websites, including Merriam-Webster, has attracted more than 450 million users during 2011, according to internal figures.Cauz said the product is worth the price.
"There can be as large as Wikipedia. But we have an academic voice, an editorial process, and indeed well written articles, "said Cauz. "All these things that seem very, very important, and offer an alternative that we propose as many people as possible. We believe there are between 1.2 and 1.5 billion of investigations we have the best answer. "
the question of whether the decision to discontinue the publication of monumental career had not provoked a negative reaction in society, Cauz said the opposite was true.
Find best price for : --Wikipedia----Jacqui----Cauz----Britannica----encyclopedia--